First, try an Automatic install. If that doesn’t work, you can try manually installing.
Step 1: Automatic Plugin Installation (Best Option)
To add a WordPress Plugin using the built-in plugin installer:
Step 1 Alternative: Manual Plugin Installation
Use this option if your server does not permit automatic installation of a WordPress Plugin and you are familiar with FTP usage.
Backup your site completely before proceeding.
To install a WordPress Plugin manually:
- Download this WordPress Plugin to your desktop.
- Extract the zip archive Plugin folder to your desktop.
- Read through the “readme” file thoroughly to ensure you follow the installation instructions.
- With your FTP program, upload the Plugin folder to the wp-content/plugins folder in your WordPress directory online.
- Go to Plugins screen and find the newly uploaded Plugin in the list.
- Click Activate to activate it.
- Now follow the steps in Step 2: Customize the Plugin
Step 2: Customize the Plugin
- Go to Settings > BillTrack50 Scorecard
- Customize the following fields:
- BT50 API Key: Paste in your Bill Track 50 API key. If you do not have one, please contact Bill Track 50.
- Select a Scorecard: This will default to the first plugin it finds in your Bill Track 50 account. You can select the field to change which scorecard is displayed. You need to go set up a scorecard on your Bill Track 50 account for this field to populate.
- Primary color: This color will be used as the background of legislator names on scorecards.
- Secondary color: This color displays as your links.
- Header Image: Upload an image that displays behind both the search for legislator by address field and behind individual legislators on their detail pages.
- Main Header Jumbotron: This is your page title.
- Main Subtitle Jumbotron: This is the paragraph text that displays under your page title.
- Scoring Info Sidebar: Displays in the sidebar. Is used to explain your values and scoring system.
- For Range Splits: Currently, the scorecard defaults to a red score if the score number is below zero. It defaults to green if it’s above zero. You have control of these colors with the Scoring Ranges section. To add new colors, enter in a number and choose what color you want for that range. (The range is considered in-between the high and low number you’re working with.)
- Members Only Option: This is optional and is used to encourage membership to your site. If someone isn’t a member with a WordPress login, they can only see the first 3 legislators in the list. Once logged into WordPress, they can see everything.
- Force HTTPS for image URLs: Used if you want to force urls to be fetched over https instead of http. This is typically used for sites using SSL or if you’re unable to get images to load.
- Display Recent Posts in Sidebar: This pulls in your recent WordPress blog posts into the sidebar. You can just check it to turn it on. Then you can multi-select to choose which categories you want to display. (On Windows, multi-select is done with Control + click. On Macs, it’s done with Command + click.)
- Display Promo Sidebar Section: This enabled another heading and text editor for the sidebar. This is just if you want to add an addition section with text/links.
- Paste the following shortcode into any page with a full-width template.
If you are having problems with a WordPress Plugin, see the WordPress.org Troubleshooting section.
Common Plugin Issues
Unable to move plugin files
If WordPress gives an error related to being unable to move plugin files, you very likely have server permissions issues. See Changing File Permissions and Hardening WordPress for the official WordPress documentation on how permissions should be set.
White Screen of Death
If you experience a white screen of death after installing our plugin, please deactivate it, turn on WP_Debug in your wp-config.php file, and refresh your page. Then, contact us or email us at email@example.com with the error you receive.
Until we are able to get back to you, we’d recommend deactivating our plugin. If you are unable to access the WordPress administration screen, you can deactivate the plugin manually.